Self Transformation, Becoming Your Own Guru
I’ve been sitting with clients under the title of psychotherapist and counselor for many years now. Am I really your “counselor?” That would imply that I know more than you, or that I hold more wisdom than you. If you believe this, then you may always be looking to someone else for your transformation. No one holds more wisdom than another. It’s all here. It’s all within you. The seeking can cease. You can step into it at any moment you choose. It’s also perfectly perfect if you choose not to right now. You’re exactly where you’re supposed to be. Ahhhh….what a relief!
What are the 7 steps to becoming your own guru?
- Make time to get quiet with yourself everyday (at least 10 minutes without any distractions). If you can do more….do more. Getting quiet with ourselves so that we can hear our inner voice is the single most important thing we can do to cultivate trust and harmony within. As Marianne Williamson says, “And no one will listen to us until we listen to ourselves.”
- Start tuning into your inner truth (your gut/intuition) and stop looking to others for the answers. Your body always knows what’s right for it, but it takes practice hearing it.
- Write down 5 things you’re grateful for everyday. Find an attitude of gratitude….especially when you perceive that things aren’t going your way.”
- Take 10 deep and conscious breaths, S-L-O-W down and pause whenever you have a negative thought that is trying to get you to defend, blame, or lash out. You can always trust your loving thoughts. The negative ones are trying to trick you!
- Practice questioning every stressful thought and belief you have. Ask yourself, “Is this really true, or is this a story my mind is creating in order to keep me victimized?”
- While doing ANYTHING, if you aren’t in acceptance, appreciation or joy….STOP doing it. If you’re feeling frustration, anger or any negativity, it probably won’t serve you or the activity you’re doing.
- Realize that you’re constantly being given opportunities to shift how you relate to your circumstances. Remember….circumstances don’t matter (no matter how you’re thoughts perceive them to be), state of being does. Practice loving it all!
If you’re looking for satisfaction, it’s within you and no one else can counsel you into it. Although, sometimes utilizing an objective person to help guide you back to yourself is beneficial when you feel stuck.
If you’re looking for your purpose, it’s right here in this moment as you read these words. All you ever need to know is what’s going on right here, right now…..and be awake to that, and serve that 100%! We can feel dissatisfied when we believe that there is something greater (more important) than what we are doing right now. Bring your full attention….your full acceptance and appreciation into this moment. That is your purpose. Our thoughts often trick us into believing that we’re not doing enough, evolving fast enough, or living up to our full potential. It’s a trick….don’t believe it. In fact, if you’re experiencing stressful thoughts like, “I’m not being the most I can be” or, “I’m not living my purpose” it is actually getting in the way of your peace and creativity right now. It is taking away from the present moment…..the only place to be. Your mind is preoccupied and frozen with the stress of getting somewhere else other than where you are right now! Right now, you are embodying your purpose. Relax and breathe into your purpose.
If you’re looking for peace, you can have it now, simply by not believing your stressful thoughts. Stressful thoughts are thoughts that represent anything other than love and peace. Your stressful thoughts will try and convince you that they are real and true. They can morph into stories that will define who you are if you don’t diligently question their absolute truth.
Since you can morph into anything, why not morph into a…………? Butterflies represent growth and transformation.
If you’re looking for a better relationship, it starts with the relationship with your own mind. It starts with the relationship to your own awakening….the awakening to your true nature. What is your true nature? Simply put, you true nature is nothing other than your mind unfettered by certainty. A certain mind is an imprisoned mind. Anytime your mind looks out and perceives something as unfriendly, you’re going to feel stress. If you judge your partner (or anyone) as unkind, your body is going to feel that as stress. What if you started questioning every negative thought you had. What if you questioned the thought, “My partner doesn’t listen to me!” Is that really true?
I’ve come to know that whenever I have a negative thought about another person or situation, I become small. My body contracts and tightens. My creativity, productivity and peace diminish. I become a prisoner of my own mind. My loving thoughts, however, set me free, as they represent my true nature. They become the images I see in the movie I’m creating.
If you’re tired of the “Drama – Trauma” movie you’re making, you can become the star of “Peace and Grace” simply by questioning the thoughts that disturb you.
Everything I believe you to be, in the moment I believe that….I am that, without exception. So, the next time you believe something negative about another, realize that you are being that in that moment. Understanding this truth will cultivate true transformation.
I can only love and accept you, by loving and accepting me.
I love the “guru” that is YOU!